Our mission is to train the next generation of water researchers and problem solvers and to establish Wisconsin as a global leader in water-related science, technology and economic growth. In addition to preparing future scientists and water managers, our work benefits everyone who uses or relies on water, from farmers to homeowners, outdoor enthusiasts to manufacturers.
Powered by our multidisciplinary approach, we provide students the opportunity to customize their degrees and focus on some of the most pressing water-related challenges of our time: clean water, climate change, reliable water systems, a robust economy and technological innovation.
As a system of universities in Wisconsin we share stewardship of the land and water between the Michigami, the full system of Great Lakes, and Michiziibi, the great Mississippi River, with the current sovereign nations of Potawatomi, Ho-Chunk, Menominee, Ojibwe, Oneida and Mohican people along with the ancestors before them. Together we commit to being connected to this space, increasing our knowledge of it and transmitting that knowledge to future generations.
Our thanks to Dr. Margaret Noodin, director of the Electa Quinney Institute and a Center for Water Policy scholar at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, for crafting this land and water acknowledgement.
(All times Central)
check back soon
In the News
- University Research & Technology Roundtable Features FCW, UWM (June 10, 2021)
- Video: UW System President Thompson on Wisconsin Freshwater (April 19, 2021)
- The Plastic Problem: UWM development engineer discusses ways to reduce plastic impact on Great Lakes; CBS58 Milwaukee (April 18, 2021)
- Wisconsin Mercury Researcher Captures Prestigious Aslo Prize; University of Wisconsin Water Research Institute (March 4, 2021)
- UW-La Crosse joins hopeful statewide freshwater collaborative; LaCrosse Tribune (Feb. 28, 2021)
- Jablonski Named National Academy of Engineering 2021 Gilbreth Lecturer (Feb. 12, 2021)
- Dr. Eric Compas to present “Testing the Waters” keynote in April (Feb. 9, 2021)
- Could you catch COVID-19 from a mask on the ground? with comments by Freshwater Collaborative of Wisconsin Executive Director Marissa Jablonski; FOX6 Milwaukee (Dec. 15, 2020)
- CannedWater4Kids Makes a Donation to UWM Engineers without Borders, with comments by Dr. Jablonski; Digital Journal (December 2020)
- Learn About the Freshwater Collaborative, UWM Today on WUWM 89.7. (November 2020)
- Freshwater Collaborative of Wisconsin Picks Up Steam, Lake Effect on WUWM 89.7. (June 2020)